Our attempt at southern living...

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Paaarobably Time to Update...

Well, since our last post was in December, and it is now mid-June, and I'm leaving the country for the month of July (and therefore definitely won't be able to post anything then, seeing as how my mother won't let me take my computer with me), I figured I should "paaarobably" update anyone who's paying attention to the progress of our humble abode... because there has been a lot... and unfortunately I don't usually think to take "before" pictures of all my craft-oriented endeavors, but I'll try to use what little I do have to best convey any changes we've made.

 Left: an idea I got from something I saw on either Pinterest or one of the blogs I follow... or maybe even Tumblr... I really don't know...
Right: a key/coat(?)/scarf/etc. wall rack that I made basically because I really liked the knobs and bird hooks and wanted to use them for something...



This is an idea that Clayton had from Pinterest (I think)... Obviously, I didn't record the making of mine. It was kind of spontaneously done anyway (because I liked Clayton's and wanted one for myself). But then again, most of my projects are somewhat spontaneous/impromtu in nature...




I wanted to make a tray, but the only way to make an actual functioning tray like the one I had in mind was to securely attach glass to the bottom of the frame, which a.) I didn't want to pay for and b.) I didn't have the appropriate tools for (which I also didn't want to pay for). SO, I used a plexi-glass-like sheet that I bought from none other than Hobby Lobby (or HobLob, as I sometimes affectionately call it... other times, not so affectionately). It actually turned out pretty sturdy, although I wouldn't test its abilities with anything breakable. Also in the picture are some coasters I made out of plain ceramic tiles (from Lowe's, 97 cents each if I recall correctly) and some pictures that I made out of pictures I had on my computer and quotes that I like (and some modge podge and water-proof varnish of course). And lastly, in this collage, is the epitome of one of my improvised projects. I accidentally bought glass bottles of ginger ale from Kroger... not quite sure how I didn't notice that they were glass (instead of plastic) until after I bought them; but nevertheless, the idea of throwing the empty bottles away (be it trash can or recycling bin, because we do recycle, mind you) didn't sit well with me at all. I mean they had so much potential. They were, after all, glass, not some cheap regular plastic bottles. And having read the earlier portion of this paragraph, one would gather that I apparently have a skewed version of the value of things, or at least in this context, the value of glass. ( I say this because I don't think glass is actually that precious, but sometimes my "frugal" tendencies get the best of me, and apparently my ability to use logic.) Anyway, I wrapped them in yarn and called it a day. NEXT:










This little gem is the product of Clayton really wanting a "cute" bar instead of a bigger bookshelf. After getting [probably too many] ideas from the various [and again, too many] blogs I follow, we decided we wanted a rolling, trolley-bar. I'm not sure if that's what it is actually called, but it sounded appropriate, so I'm stickin' to it. It was pretty ugly/gross and frankly reminded me of something that might have been used on the Titanic or in the Tower of Terror. So I sacrificed my lungs, and probably our sense of smell for a week or two, and spray-painted it after creating a few "drop-cloths" out of whatever I could find that I didn't need. I probably could have just done it outside of course, but I don't like people getting in my business... at least not my neighbors, because they either creep me out or get on my nerves... I don't like none of 'em... but that's a topic for another day... Also, I bought a new bookshelf since Clayton commandeered our other one to use for her step-brothers' bedroom...


And finally, here are some progression pictures ... and don't judge us on the amount of alcohol in our trolley-bar; we've had a lot of 21st birthdays recently, so deal with it.

Maybe in another 6 months I'll update again, but for now...That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment